3.02.2015

Road Trip to Puyallup

On Saturday, my friends and I drove to Puyallup for the Sewing and Stitchery Expo. I had been hearing a lot about it from the internets and was really excited. An event dedicated to sewing? Count me in!

It's possible people's enthusiasm for the Expo had a lot more to do with the huge number of classes offered, but I didn't look at those very closely because my time was limited. Unfortunately, the marketplace was not inspiring to me at all. 99% of it consisted of quilting supplies--and not, "modern quilting," but rather more traditional piecework and applique--with a whole heckuva lot of machine embroidery. 

I don't mean to knock quilting. I can appreciate the artistry and skill that goes into making a nice quilt. I've made a few myself. But what was on display just wasn't to my taste and I really, really wanted to see more fashion sewing.

Luckily, I was there with some wonderful people. We had fun sorting through the bins at Vogue fabrics and even bought a few yards. We were awed by the gorgeous fabrics at Pendleton. But the best part of the day was bantering with my girls and eating strawberry shortcake in the cool spring sunshine.

Strawberry shortcake!

Girls, you rock. Thanks for a great day!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Yay! I'd roadtrip just about anywhere for some shortcake. It was great to hang out with you!

Deer & Doe Plantain T-shirt

I'm going to cut to the chase. I LOVE this top. The fit is great for me. The subtle feminine shaping makes me feel less schlumpy than mo...