9.01.2014

Blog Hop

Recently my friend Sarah from Prairie Girl Knits asked to join in a Blog Hop. She and I met through the Outfit Along this summer, which was a lot of fun! You can read Sarah's Blog Hop Post here. Please take some time to visit her blog to see some of her marvelous creations. She has four boys who keep her on her toes, but somehow she manages to sew, knit and cook up a storm.
For this blog hop, we've each been given the same four questions. So here I go with mine! :)
1) What am I working on?
I usually sew and knit for myself, but have inexplicably become obsessed with the idea of making clothes for my kids. It didn't used to be a fun thing to do, since they are incredibly picky and have their own ideas about fashion. My skills have improved enough that I pass their picky screening most times and I'm enlisting them in choosing patterns and fabric, so they are actually excited about what I'm making for them, instead of feeling like they HAVE to placate me by wearing the garments once for photos and then stuffing them in the back of their closets to never be seen again.

IMG_7406

Currently on the sewing table are Peek-a-Boo Pattern hoodies for both of my children. I found some really lovely sweatshirt fleece at Girl Charee. My son's hoodie will be a brilliant red--it's one of his favorite colors. I picked out a royal blue fabric with heart-shaped peace signs for my daughter. She thinks they look like pretzels, but is ok  with the fabric regardless, lol.

IMG_7424

IMG_7430
I've also been trying out jeans patterns for my daughter. The first one I tried was Peek-a-Boo Patterns Skinny Jeans. I should have known just by looking at the pattern pieces that it wasn't going to work for us, because the front is ridiculously low and there's no zipper in the fly. Ugh.

 IMG_7413
IMG_7412
I just traced off the Twiggy Jeans from Ottobre 6/2007 and the pattern looks far more promising. I also found some nice stretch twill in pink and aqua, which is thicker than the material I was using above. I'm confident the next pair will turn out much better.
I always have several knitting projects on the needles. Right now, I'm most focused on is a cowl by Joji Locatelli called To Infinity and Beyond. I'm using a sparkly blue fingering weight yarn I picked up at Stitches West this spring. I usually try to keep the ball band so I can tell people what brand the yarn is, but it seems to have gone missing. Still, whenever I pull out the project in public, it gets lots of comments. People, including me, are magpie and love sparkly things, lol.

To Infinity and Beyond Cowl

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I'm not a designer, so I really don't attempt to distinguish my work from others. However, I would say that I do try to infuse my personality into items by picking colors I like (usually deeply saturated jewel tones) and by focusing on little details like topstitching. I'm also incredibly picky (guess I know where the kids get that quality) and will rip and redo something until it's right.
3) Why do I create what I do?
Often times, my creations are sparked by a perceived need. For instance, I can't find jeans in stores that fit me the way I want them to, so I sew them.
Sometimes, I just like the way something looks and want to make it. I don't really need another scarf or cowl, but I like the way Joji Locatelli's To Infinity and Beyond cowl looks, so found some pretty yarn and started knitting away.
Sometimes, I feel the need to DO something and pick up something suitable. I take small knitting projects with me on trips, to the doctor's office and when I'd otherwise poke my eyes out from the boredom of sitting around doing nothing.
Sometimes, I get involved with creating things with and for my kids. My daughter loves beading, so I get out all the jewelry supplies and work on a necklace or earrings while she's making giant parakeets and penguins out of pony beads.

Finally, almost all of my projects are blessed with a little bit of cat hair.

Yaaaawn
4) How does my creative process work?
I don't always work the same way from start to finish. I'm occasionally inspired by something I see on the internet or while commuting back and forth from work. Most often, I find some material or yarn or ingredient that speaks to me and I spend a lot of time thinking about how it could best be put to use.
Passing the baton...
My very talented friend, Erin of http://hipchickknits.blogspot.com will be posting her answers to these questions on September 8. Please do visit her site to read all about her incredible projects and creative process. If you would also like to participate, please let me know!

1 comment:

prairiegirl said...

I've really enjoyed reading your post!

That's so exciting that the kids are enjoying your creative efforts for them. That's one of my favourite things is making something for the kids and having them appreciate it! Last Christmas my oldest's (he'll be 24 this fall) wish list contained all mama made items. I was OVER THE MOON happy to oblige! :)

Deer & Doe Plantain T-shirt

I'm going to cut to the chase. I LOVE this top. The fit is great for me. The subtle feminine shaping makes me feel less schlumpy than mo...