7.24.2014

Lady Skater Dress

I had hemmed and hawed about purchasing this pattern for a long time, concerned that it might look too juvenile on me. I have a love-hate relationship with little girl styles like Mary Jane shoes and Peter Pan collars. I'm always attracted to them, until I put them on and feel silly.

IMG_7367

 I think my concern was misplaced. This style isn't necessarily juvenile. It's a great basic style and can be transformed by the type of fabric you use. If I had chosen something that was pink and covered in cartoon puppies, then yes, it would have looked too young for me. The dark abstract print I chose counteracted any juvenile associations I might have with the style--making this a dress I LOVE! In fact, I'm going to whip up a couple more of these. I love the fit and it's a sleek and flattering style for me. 

 I bought this fabric about a year ago from Gorgeous Fabrics. I still love the print and the colors. I was, however, very disappointed in how it did in the wash. It now has a slight halo and has pilled a bit :( Oh well! It's better stitch up as a slightly shabby dress than as a pristine piece of flat cloth. Always look on the bright side, right?

No comments:

Deer & Doe Plantain T-shirt

I'm going to cut to the chase. I LOVE this top. The fit is great for me. The subtle feminine shaping makes me feel less schlumpy than mo...