6.27.2014

FO: Cattails Cardigan

Hello world! I have had family visiting so have been too busy to update this blog as I planned. I have a lot to share with you, including changes in my plans for the Outfit Along, a tutorial on side seam pockets, a few finished items and wardrobe sewing plans.

I'll start with the project I finished first: the Cattails Cardigan.

sweaters 037


A long time ago, in a small yarn shop not-so-far away, I bought a few balls of Elsbeth Lavold Silky Wool. I love the rustic, lightweight nature of the yarn. I once knit a Leaf Lace Shawl with it and really enjoyed the fabric it created. I did not, however, purchase enough of the yarn to do something interesting with it, so it rusticated in one of my stash bins. Then, one fine day, I was perusing Ravelry and noticed a new pattern by Melissa Schaschwary for a striped, open front cardigan knit out of Silky Wool. It was the answer to my dilemma. All I had to do was buy a few more balls of Silky Wool in a contrasting color and I would be in business.

I am delighted with how this cardigan turned out. The fit is just right. The fabric has great drape and an interesting texture. The stitch pattern for the hem and front bands is subtle, but really pleasing.


cattails_edging

There's only one problem. The colors of my yarn are more subdued than everything else in my wardrobe and I'm struggling to find things to pair it with. I really need a t-shirt in a good color to wear under it. II will NOT wear it out in public with the beige top pictured above. That color makes me look ghastly and/or like I'm nude under the sweater.  The layering top issue must be worked out stat.

No comments:

Deer & Doe Plantain T-shirt

I'm going to cut to the chase. I LOVE this top. The fit is great for me. The subtle feminine shaping makes me feel less schlumpy than mo...